Whether you own or rent, having a home comes with responsibilities that are best not to avoid or keep putting off. To help prevent potentially costly issues or even worse, harmful problems from arising, there are 5 simple tasks every homeowner should always stay on top of.
- Maintain Curb Appeal
As the popular saying goes, nothing beats a first impression. Afterall, how excited can you be to get home to overgrown brown grass and paint chipping off the front door? A few easy ways to maintain your homes curb appeal are:
- Install a sprinkler system to put grass care on autopilot
- Give the garage and front door a fresh coat of paint
- Clean windows from the inside and outside
- Remove any unnecessary clutter around the property
Maintaining curb appeal is the easiest way to make sure you can enjoy your home from the outside in.
- Clean the Gutters
Probably most will agree, the least favorite chore on any homeowners to do list is cleaning the gutters. The time-consuming task that requires physical energy for every step from dragging out a heavy ladder to scaling the side of the house. Although it may not be fun, cleaning the gutters is really important when it comes to avoiding potential home disasters like:
- Gutters detaching from the weight of debris
- Rainwater unable to drain properly because of clogged gutters and downspouts
- Gutter water overflow causing interior and exterior water damage
Prevent problems before they can even start by cleaning your gutters at least once a year.
- Inspect from the Outside In
Since you'll already be outside when you finish cleaning out the gutters, take this opportunity to do a good once over of the house and property. This is the best way to get peace of mind, so no potentially costly issues take you by surprise. Starting from the outside and working your way indoors, check:
- The roof to make sure nothings loose or broken
- Any loose branches on trees hanging over your roof, driveway or property
- Look for cracks or wear in the foundation
- Walk around inside to feel if any drafts are coming from windows or doors
Also, make sure to call a plumber for an annual check-up on the dryer vent, pipes and heating system.
- Empty Out the Dryer Lint Basket
Remembering to clean out the lint basket from the dryer is probably the most important chore that can be easily forgotten. With continuous use of any drying machine comes the build-up of lint that can become quite a problem if neglected. Make sure to clean the dryer lint basket frequently to avoid:
- Lower Efficiency - lint accumulation makes a dryer work harder than usual and take longer to heat up to a higher temperature
- Fire Hazard - built up dryer lint is the most common cause of house fires
- Check Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detectors
Keep safety simple by checking smoke and carbon monoxide detectors twice a year and change the batteries as necessary. This is the easiest way to stay on top of keeping your home and everyone in it safe from potentially unseen harm.