Tue, 28 Sep 2021

Anyone engaged in an accident in Western Australia (WA) is required to stop and assist anyone who is injured. They must give everyone who has been injured or whose property has been damaged, as well as any police officers, their name and address, as well as the name and address of the owner of the car they are driving.

In Western Australia, the Insurance Commission of Western Australia (ICWA) is the body responsible for administering the Compulsory Third Party Insurance Scheme. All persons involved in motor vehicle crashes resulting in personal injury and fatal injury are managed by this scheme.

If you have been involved in a motor vehicle accident and injured as a result, there are some things you should do.

Steps to take after a car accident

The Motor Vehicle Third Party Insurance Act 1943 (WA) requires you to notify ICWA of your intention to file a claim. This can be accomplished in one or more of the ways listed below:

  • You can get the necessary form (the Notice of Intention to Make Claim Form) straight from ICWA by calling them;
  • You can fill out the corresponding online form at à https://www.crashreport.com.au
  • You can seek the help of a lawyer (personal injury lawyer) to notify ICWA of your intention to file a claim.

You should see your General Practitioner before or after notifying ICWA of your plan to file a claim so that your GP can check you and diagnose the injuries caused by the car accident. This is a crucial step because it ensures that your injuries, treatment, and prognosis are properly documented. It is imperative that you follow the treatment recommended by the relevant health professional.

The ICWA will next investigate the circumstances surrounding the car accident, and after you have recovered, they will try to reach an agreement with you. The compensation process has two parts: first, determining liability, which requires proving the driver's negligence, which caused your injuries. Second, you'll need to quantify your claim because you may be entitled to a variety of damages, including past and future medical bills, past and future loss of earnings, general damages for pain and suffering, and loss of life's amenities, to mention a few.

Who has the right to make a claim?

You can make a car accident claim in Western Australia if you are a:

To put it another way, you don't have to be driving to make a claim. All that counts is that you've been injured on the road, and it's entirely or partially due to someone else's negligence. The most important thing to remember is that you must make a claim for a motor vehicle accident within three years of the date of the accident. Otherwise, your claim would be considered out of time, and you will not be entitled to compensation. You should contact a lawyer as soon as possible to ensure that your damage is covered so that your case does not run out of time.

More Baltimore News

Access More

Sign up for Baltimore News

a daily newsletter full of things to discuss over drinks.and the great thing is that it's on the house!