We all know that more than half of Australians own either a cat or dog, & everyone is enthusiastic about filling their tummies. Every family spends almost more than $2 billion every year on their pets. Also, good nutrition is important for their health, right from their skin & coat to teeth and longevity. With so many food products out there which one should you go buying pet food in Australia? Let's learn a bit about it and what is the pet food industry status in Australia.
How to buy the best Pet Food In Australia?
Australia's pet food industry is highly unregulated, and this is a challenge for pet owners to choose the right product. That is why here is this guide to help you buy nutritious food at a fair price. Let's see what are the most important tips when you buy pet food for your best friend in Australia.
- The most important thing is to buy those that are labeled as 'complete and balanced. This will ensure that your pet will get all the nutrients in appropriate quantities and proportions to maintain good health.
- Wet food like canned food, pouches and rolls, dried food, and packaged raw food are covered by the Australian Standard. They have outlined requirements for production, food safety, nutrition, and labeling. But, the standard is voluntary, so if foods are not up to the standard there's no authority to enforce compliance.
Tips to buy Pet Food in Australia
1.Variety is best
- When you buy pet food in Australia, you should consider the factor that the best food choice is what your pet needs. Feed your pet a combination of tinned, dry, and fresh meats to provide variety and to ensure optimal nutrition.
- Brand Selection: Choose a good quality brand while buying pet food in Australia that has a high-quality commercial diet. If you are looking for a trusted brand that can deliver you the best pet food online in Australia then you can choose Pet Culture which is a reputable brand delivering the best quality and safe to use products for pets. You can order the pet product online and get them delivered to your doorstep.
- The diet should be appropriate for your pet's health and age and should comply with Australian standards as a baseline. You can add other elements to your fluffy animal's diet like raw, meaty bones at times.
Variety of Pet Food available in Australia
Dry food is a less messy option and also well-formulated, and thus a popular choice. It is nutritious as well, and no less fresh than wet foods. Previously, urinary tract infections occurred in cats due to dry foods, but manufacturers have altered the pH level of their formulation to curb that.
Cats that eat a well-formulated dry-food diet don't suffer a risk of urinary tract disease if they drink enough water. If your pet doesn't want to follow that, better go for a canned food diet that has higher water content. Moreover, you can easily store and feed dry foods, and they're more energy-dense, lower cost, with dental benefits.
But though they look extremely convenient and affordable, they've lower palatability, more grains, thus more likely to contain preservatives. You can also keep in mind that as they contain 10% water only, the food won't rot. You can try buying pet food in Australia.
b)Canned Pet Food
Tinned or canned pet food is easily available and comes in a wide variety of ingredients. Just make sure you check the ingredients with the Australian Standard while buying pet food in Australia. Generally, you should not try different products with your dog, and maintain consistency, if not suggested by the nutritionist.
Pros of tinned pet food
- It has high water content, thus dogs can have a larger meal to provide the same energy as an equivalent portion of kibble.
- Some dogs prefer the taste of canned food over kibble.
- When dogs have to stay away from home, it helps them to eat more normally if they have a little encouragement from some delicious canned food along with their kibble.
Cons of tinned food
- Canned foods are more expensive per energy calorie than kibble due to higher water content and packaging.
- To some dogs, canned food may contribute to periodontal disease.
- Once you open the can, transfer the remainder to a small container for refrigeration. Consult your veterinarian to determine the appropriate daily portion.
- c)Fresh Pet Meat
Fresh pet meat comes as meat, 'steaks', and rolls. Although they sound like a better alternative to the tinned and packaged stuff, they have some issues. Packaged fresh meat alone won't provide nutrition to your cats and dogs. In the wild, a 'fresh meat' diet includes bones, hide, and organs, as these small animals are herbivores.
You need to feed them a 'complete and balanced' commercial food as well, that has both protein and fibers. The sulfur dioxide, sodium, and potassium sulfite preservatives present in fresh pet meat are probable to cause thiamine deficiency and can be fatal. Instead, feed your cats and dogs cheaper human-grade meats in addition to a 'complete and balanced diet.
2.Fighting off gum disease
Buy pet food that can protect your pet from getting ill and fight gum diseases. Periodontal disease in pets is a very common form of gum disease, where it destroys the gums & tissue that supports the teeth. It also affects the liver, kidney, and heart. Moreover, a study in the Journal of Nutrition suggests that daily brushing of your pet's teeth is very effective. Brushing will keep these kinds of diseases at bay, & also you can add bones to your pet's diet as a supplement.
Kittens and pups need nutrients and special food. Also, you should give special food to a lactating dog or cat.